Thursday, November 22, 2012

Our First Thanksgiving

This is the first year since my pop passed away that I'm once again happy about the upcoming holidays and of course my birthday. When I was a kid, I used to LOVE Thanksgiving because it was the one day when we all sat at the same table to eat. Mommy and Daddy would season the turkey the night before and would wake up crazy early in the morning to pop it in the oven. By the time it was around 2pm, it would be all ready to get gobbled up (pun intended). We always ate early back then and also used break out the fine china that was in our cabinet. I used to just eat breakfast Thanksgiving mornings so by the time lunch came, and we were ready to eat, I would be able to stuff my face with all the yummy foods. We always made straight up traditional American foods like freshly mashed potatoes, stuffing, blueberry muffins, corn muffins and of course Tom the Turkey. We were sometimes joined by our neighbor from around the corner Nancy, an old Italian lady who would talk non-stop even with her mouth full. It was hilarious. She lived by herself and my parents met her when we bought another house on Garfield Ave. She lived next door with her brother John. Hmmm now I'm wondering if they're still alive? As the years went on when I was in HS, Meera met a guy at work named Sourika and he came over for Thanksgiving one year...and then eventually Justin was born and Reek never left hahahaha. He celebrated Thanksgiving with us for many years after that. One year we had both Reek and Nancy there...and it was hilarious. With Nancy talking as fast as she was eating and Reek's contagious laugh, it was really entertaining.

This year, we're celebrating Thanksgiving at my mom's house, our first time having it there since daddy passed away in Dec 2007. Now with the change in venue, I am really looking forward to celebrating our first thanksgiving with our boys at the house where I grew up. 

So how are we celebrating our first Thanksgiving morning? I whipped up some pancakes and sausage for us and we are in bed right now eating and watching the parade, like we have been doing each year since we moved in together. This will be our tradition every year....

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment